Project Constellation: Phase 2
Wattpad Profile Redesign: Enhancing Content Discovery, Responsiveness, and Curation
Where We Started
Original Profile - Typical User
Original Profile - Extreme Curator User
- The current profile was not responsive, so it was an inconsistent experience across devices which could lead to user confusion, less discovery
- The current profile showed reading lists in an obscure position and size on the page, making them seem less important which was not optimal for discovery
- The current profile showed the feed prominently which was not usually focused on discovery, but for social interaction
- The current profile needed to be hacked by our own content team to better feature reading lists
- We used the research gathered in Project Constellation Phase 1 to inform our design decisions
- Conducted audit of the existing profile on different platforms: iOS, Android, Responsive Web
- Conducted audit of the existing profile's different use cases: Creator, Audience, Curator, Ambassador, Silent Reader, Logged In, Logged Out, Following, Not Following
- Identified ways the profile could be improved to better address all of the use cases on all platforms, while fitting into the new modular framework started in Phase 1
- Took into consideration scope and technical feasibility, did concepts that fell on different parts of the feasibility scale.
- Increasing content Discovery was the focus because Data had identified Discovery = Growth, and Growth was our company's current goal
- Thought first view of profile should then be about Content - meaning move the feed to a separate tab.
- By keeping only content on first view of profile, we assumed it would lead to more discover of content which we later verified
Prototype A - Early Concept for Typical User
I intentionally start out with concepts that may be considered too big of a change from the status quo. Too much of a departure from what constraints would usually dictate. The reason is that if you think too close to the constraints, you may miss some great ideas. So I do consider the constraints, but then try to think beyond them, knowing that I can always scale it back. If the team and users really respond to these concepts, we can figure out a way to phase these ideas in.
Of the first round of concepts, this was my favourite because:
- It was modular: A flexible system that could scale and grow over time
- It was customizable: Because the user could dictate the
Prototype B - Later Concept for Extreme Curator Profile
Prototype C - Close to Production Design with Scroll Transition