Wattpad is the world’s largest community
for readers and writers.
- 60m+ monthly audience
- 15b+ minutes per month
- 400m+ story uploads
- 50 languages
- Vibrant community
- Stories you can't find anywhere else
Who uses Wattpad?
Primarily teens, mostly female, mostly readers. Writers ranged from amateurs and hobbyists to homegrown platform superstars like Anna Todd, to traditional literature celebrities like Margaret Atwood, Dan Brown, and R.L. Stine.
"I want to quickly find something good to read"
Data Team recently reported if new users hit X Reading Time they are much more likely to be retained.
"Discovery ➔ Reading Time ➔ Retention ➔ Growth"
- Leadership Team
I was the lead Product Designer for the Web, and worked with a Product Manager and another Product Designer who headed up iOS and Android. We also had loads of input from Support, Community, Content, Business, Data, and Dev. Product Manager, Community, and Support were instrumental in organizing the participants for our User Research. Together we developed the architecture of the new Discovery experience.
How do people currently discover new content?
- Skip home page recommendations
- Discover > Category > Hot List > Browse individual stories
- Authors and Friends they follow
- Wattpad or User Curated Profiles (ie. Harry Potter Fans, Wattpad Romance)
- External Wattpad Profiles (Twitter)
- News Feed & Notifications
- Fix recommendations in general (Relevance, Variety, Context)
- Scale Human Curation (Amplify, Tools)
- Create a scalable, modular system that embeds discovery opportunities through every corner of the experience