The following are a list of factors to consider when working on any design project. (Under revision)
- What people problem are we trying to solve?
- Who are the people I am trying to solve this for?
- User persona?
- Empathy map?
- Business objectives and key results? (OKRs)
- Highest priority / most impact?
- Business strategy?
- UX strategy?
- Content strategy?
- Marketing alignment?
- Cross-functional alignment?
- Rollout strategy?
- Industry factors?
- Competitive analysis?
- Is this really a problem? (Opportunity?)
- How will we know we have solved it?
- User Interviews
- Remote / In-person
- Moderated / Unmoderated
- Usability testing
- A/B tests
- Card sorting
- User interviews
- Heat map
- Beta group of users
- Guerrilla testing
- Static comps
- Interactive Prototypes
- Interaction design animation
- Semi-functional prototypes
- Does this scale to all supported screen sizes?
- Are we using the same breakpoints and grids from the style guide?
- Does this work across the main devices we support?
- Devices & Resolutions support checklist
- Test on all supported devices
- Test on low end screens and devices
- Portrait / Landscape View
- New User / First Use / Empty State
- Introducing / Education / Highlight on New Feature
- Signed In / Signed Out
- Min / Max Info
- Owner / Viewer
- Error States
- Offline State
- Progressive Disclosure
- Progressive Reduction
- What ad unit sizes must we support
- For Desktop?
- For Mobile Web?
- What happens at different viewport sizes?
- Native Advertising
- Optimized for maximum SEO impact?
- Not violating any SEO rules?
- Not impacting SEO value negatively?
- Combination of states (ie. Offline + Error + ?)
- Connection lost during action
- Space consideration for language
- Right to Left languages
- Check the designs in different languages
- Take screenshots before the changes so you can compare before and after for each language
- Is the design broken?
- Are the translations correct?
- Readable / Legible
- Color Contrast
- Color Blind
Style Guide Standards/Consistency
- Cover Sizes
- Spacing between elements
- Page Templates
- Navigation & UI Patterns
- Normal/Off, Rollover, Active, Selected, Disabled
- Social Sharing
- A/B Testing
- Promoting / Introducing New Feature
- Alignment to Campaigns
- Alignment Brand Guidelines
Community & Support
- More Help in Help Centre
- Preparing Community and Support for incoming questions
Screens in order of design (rules of thumb)
- Design from non user to new user to advanced user
- Design mobile first, then scale to bigger screens
- Screens (Mobile first)
- Logged out
- Logged in - first use help/info
- Logged in viewer - not following
- Logged in viewer - following
- Logged in owner - empty state
- Logged in owner - populate/create flow
- Logged in owner - edit flow
- Logged in owner - delete flow
- Ad Placement
- Social Share
- General success messages
- General error messages
- Edge cases
- Admin view
- Min values
- Max values