Dedicated to JHL
40+ TRICKS WITH ALEXA + HUE + SONOS
About 2 years ago I jumped into the smart home scene by purchasing an Amazon Echo and a set of Philips Hue lights. A few months later, I added a Sonos system to the mix. It's a pretty basic setup compared to everything you can potentially add from the IOT (Internet of Things), but the benefits and changes to my routine with just these components have been pretty satisfying, so I'd like to share some of my favorite tricks with you here.
This is by far the most frequent use of my Echo. Controlling lights with your voice sounds totally unnecessary (it is... first world luxuries) but when you do have this ability at your disposal, why not? It is a bit magical.
Basic Commands (Requires Hue Lights and Hue Skill)
- "Alexa, turn the lights on"
- "Alexa, turn the lights off"
- "Alexa, turn the lights down"
- "Alexa, turn the lights up"
- "Alexa, set lights to [x] percent"
Advanced Commands (Requires above setup + IFTTT)
- "Alexa, trigger lights [color]"
- "Alexa, trigger lights party"
- "Alexa, trigger lights movie"
- "Alexa, trigger lights normal"
HUE Lights Automation (Set these up in the HUE app)
- Set lights to turn on at sunrise or desired wake time
- Set lights to gradually turn off at desired sleep time
- Set lights to automatically turn on at sunset
- Set lights to automatically turn on just before you get home (geolocation)
- Set lights to automatically turn off just after you leave home (geolocation)
Playing Music on the Echo
- "Alexa, play [song name] on Spotify"
- "Alexa, play [playlist name] playlist on Spotify"
- "Alexa, set volume to [x] percent"
- "Alexa, turn it [up/down]"
Playing and Controlling Music on Sonos via Alexa (Requires connecting Sonos to Alexa in the Alexa App. Needs Spotify or Amazon Music paid subscription. Or play TuneIn Radio)
- "Alexa, open TuneIn Radio"
- "Alexa, play [song] on Sonos"
- "Alexa, play [playlist] playlist on Sonos"
Music Automation with Sonos (Set these alarms in the Sonos app)
- Set Sonos to play a playlist or song in the morning as a wake up alarm
- Set Sonos to play a playlist or song at night as a wind down for sleep alarm
- "Alexa, what time is it?"
- "Alexa, what time is it in [city]?"
- "Alexa, what's the weather?"
- "Alexa, what's the weather in [city]"
- "Alexa, wiki [topic]"
- "Alexa, define [word]"
- "Alexa, [math/science/space question]"
- "Alexa, what's another word for [x]"
- "Alexa, set a timer for [duration]"
- "Alexa, what's on my schedule?" (requires connecting your calendar)
- "Alexa, what's the distance between [X] and [Y]?"
- "Alexa, tell me a fun fact"
- "Alexa, what's my news update" (requires adding news outlet Skills eg. BBC)
- "Alexa, open Audible" (requires Audible skill & account, and you can continue your books)
- "Alexa, remind me to [x]" (will add to your To Do list in the Alexa App)
- "Alexa, what are my reminders?"
JUST FOR FUN
- "Alexa, surprise me"
- "Alexa, good morning"
- "Alexa, tell me a joke"
DID I MISS ANY?
If you got some cool tricks that can be done with Alexa + Hue + Sonos, please leave them in the comments below. Thanks!